Dear Lindsay,

Thank you Toni and Lindsay for your posts.

Best wishes,

Mike

From: psci-com: on public engagement with science <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Lindsay Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 03 June 2018 08:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Is science distorted by the way it is reported: is themis-reporting of science a problem?

Just a small thing to add to this topic.
A study in the health sciences found that the 'distortion' frequently occured at the academic press release stage, and the media used what was in the press release --

"40% (95% confidence interval 33% to 46%) of the press releases contained exaggerated advice, 33% (26% to 40%) contained exaggerated causal claims, and 36% (28% to 46%) contained exaggerated inference to humans from animal research.

When press releases contained such exaggeration, 58% (95% confidence interval 48% to 68%), 81% (70% to 93%), and 86% (77% to 95%) of news stories, respectively, contained similar exaggeration, compared with exaggeration rates of 17% (10% to 24%), 18% (9% to 27%), and 10% (0% to 19%) in news when the press releases were not exaggerated."

Journal article found here: https://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7015.long