We are very excited to announce that our first Critically Queer conference will be taking place at the University of Bristol on the 20th and 21st of September 2018. Please see the call for proposals/abstracts below and circulate to your networks.

The Critically Queer conference is a two-day event that will be held on the 20th and 21st of September 2018 at the University of Bristol. This conference is attempting to build connections between academics, community organisers, activists, artists, and individuals with a vested interest in what it means to be LGBTQIA+ in 2018. Our key interest is in pragmatic approaches to queer studies (although theoretical papers will be considered). To that end, we invite abstracts for papers, workshop proposals, and outlines of performances or installations of no more than 300 words (plus a bio of 100 words) on:

·         Queer Interventions and Activism

·         Queer representation (e.g. media)

·         Queer embodiments (transforming bodies, transgressive sex acts, etc.)

·         Asexuality and aromanticism

·         Gender beyond the binary (legislation, medicalisation, transformation, etc.)

·         Intersectional understandings of queer communities (marginalised queer identities)

·         Queer relationships (marriage, polyamory, child-rearing, dating, etc.)

·         LGBTQIA+ geographies (including LGBTQ+ bars, dating websites, etc.)

·         Queer community groups and charities

·         Queer art and fashion

·         Queer faith

·         Queerness as capital

·         Queerness in academia (studying what you are, navigating institutions, overview of scholarship, etc.)

·         The power and problematics of labels

We are especially interested to hear from academics, activists, and artists from a diverse range of backgrounds, and those taking non-traditional approaches to studying experiences of queerness (such as autoethnography, visual methodologies, etc.).

Please send your abstract or proposal to [log in to unmask] by the 22nd of July.

Rosa Targett

PhD student in Sociology

SPAIS, University of Bristol

Co-convener of the Critically Queer Working Group

@RosaTargett

@CriticallyQ

To unsubscribe from the PSAWOMEN list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=PSAWOMEN&A=1