Colleen, I agree with you.
I cannot understand why Keith Russell thought it appropriate to make such a post to the PhD Design discussion list. Unless as a caution to female PhD students about the misogyny they might face from their male supervisors. Perhaps such public confessions are part of Keith's misogyny recovery programme, if that's what it was intended for - but I don't think it was. It's sad that he doesn't see, if not the misogyny then at least the innate sexism in an off-hand comment such as
"my grand daughter is cute as custard (she certainly doesn’t get away with her cuteness with me)".

Nigel