> Le 26 juin 2018 à 12:27, Ali Ilhan <[log in to unmask]> a écrit :
>
> And there are many engineers, who have no formal
> education in design, and do not even have a manifest goal of designing
> "beautiful" things, who end up designing unarguably "appealing" 3D objects.
> So where do we draw the line? Who is going to decide who is a designer and
> who is not?

Dear Ali, Richard and all,

I don’t wish to enter in the debate, but this part of your mail points at the difference :
- a designer will spend 5 years learning something about the history of the field, and this is very likely to cover in a way or another the issues of how form and function are / have been / thought to be interrelated.
That’s part of his or her culture. As much as 5 years of physics or mathematics make part of the culture of engineers, or statics part of the culture of architects…

This means that an engineer might create an « appealing 3D object », by constraints, by latent memories, by … it will be by chance anyway, because he or she is unlikely to evaluate the « appealing » side beyond the « I like it » stance.

As much as I might, sometime, as a designer, find a nice trick to manufacture some structural component : that will be by experience, trial and error, and certainly not by any formal and qualified process, of which I don’t have the knowledge and the culture.

Best regards,

Jean