Hi, Alun,

Thank you for raising the issue.

I suggest the issue needs considering form a different viewpoint

One of the things that have been overlooked (except by people like Jinan) is
that, except in very close- to-self situations, how individuals learn is an
activity that is itself learned and taught.

A problem is that in almost no cultures and education models is the core
idea  of 'learning how to learn' or ' being taught how to learn' detailed
and raised to a higher professional level of critique and practice.

That is, that each learner is taught how to learn interiorly, and how to be
skilled in  a wide variety of ways of learning.

Instead, it is assumed that being able to learn is some kind of untaught
magic. As soon as this happens, the teacher unconscionably gives the  power
to the learner, who is actually substantially unlearned in this area (of
learning how to learn)  and almost certainly insufficiently well taught to
learn how to learn in all its richness.

So... when a learner says ' I prefer to learn in a hands on way', what they
are really saying is that the education they have been given, in its
restrictiveness and inadequacy, has left them feeling that, compared to a
whole wide-variety of possible ways of learning, they are restricted to
always preferring learning in only a single modality of communication - in
this case 'hands on'.

This is a horrible indictment and failure of the teaching profession.

And, yes, I know, there is a movement 'teaching people how to learn' that
progresses into concepts such as 'life-long learning', 'adult-education',
'autodidactic learning' and the like.

That has the same limitations. It still remains one-dimensional in that its
version of 'learning how to learn'  is more like  'learning how to learn -
somehow', as if being able to learn at all through any kind of communication
was some kind of great advance.

Better, much better,  is to teach learners so that  they are capable of
'learning how to learn using a wide-variety of learning modalities that they
can choose between to suite the learning situation, task and content and
feel comfortable with using any and every learning modality.'

Warm regards,
Terry

==
Dr Terence Love