Dear Colleagues,

Weare pleased to inform you that the last London PUS Seminar of this academicyear will be taking place on Wednesday 20 June 2018 at 4.15pm in Room QUE328 at LSE (map here http://www.lse.ac.uk/mapsAndDirections/home.aspx). Dr Mathew Paskins, LSE, will givea talk titled “About TIME: readingscience journalism in 20th century mass market newsmagazines.”. Furtherdetails and an abstract are below.

As usual,all are welcome and there is no need to book a place.  We hope to see you on 20 June.

Best wishes

Jane Gregory, MartinBauer, Simon Lock, Melanie Smallman

London PUS Seminar

4.15pm Wednesday 20th June2018

Room QUE328, LSE

Dr Matthew Paskins, LSE

About TIME: reading sciencejournalism in 20th century mass market newsmagazines.

Betweenits first issue in 1923 and the end of the twentieth century, TIME magazinedevoted some nine million words to coverage of science, technology, andmedicine. What happens if we try to read them now? It turns out that some ofthe frameworks through which we conventionally think about sciencejournalism in the twentieth century are severely tested by the particularitiesof past scientific coverage, in the form of episodes and details from the pastranging from the worldwide outbreak of parrot fever to Henry Ford'spuzzling chemical endeavours. Because the historical archive ofpopular science is not quite what we imagine it to be, we can use itto think critically about some aspects of public understanding of sciencein the present. This talk spells out some of ways of doing that, drawingon close readings of particular stories and corpus analysis techniques ofthousands of others. It also compares TIME's distinctive styles of sciencejournalism with those of some of its obvious and less obvious competitors.