Mike,

The comment about “attack space” was really to make sure you do factor in the necessary resource, be it internal or external, rather than avoid.

I would also say that whilst I like Joomla I have found it lacking in the area of extras, and so would probably only consider Drupal and Wordpress these days.

Dave

From: Museums Computer Group <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Mike Ellis
Sent: 12 June 2018 21:25
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Sharepoint vs. Wordpress

It's an interesting point. I think as resident WordPress zealot, my first thought was - if you're going to do that, then just do wordpress.com <http://wordpress.com>  and then at least you have a sort of "future runway" to move up into wordpress.org <http://wordpress.org>  if / when you need it...

The reason I'd say this (zealotry aside) is content portability - last time I looked, migrating things out of Squarespace was awful - but that might have changed. Also though, the non open source thing, and also the lack of potential support.

Someone earlier said about the WordPress attack surface - this is true from one angle, as the most used CMS on the planet. But: a good supplier will provide backups, updates, staging, git deployment and support. And the bigness of WordPress comes with an enormous advantage: hundreds of thousands of developers, designers and support forums.

As I say to people who work with us: we want you to like us in 2, 3 and 10 years - but we'd rather you had the option to go to someone else than end up stuck. I think this is part of the portability argument, too - don't get tied into a specific agency, or something horribly bespoke / nailed down.

cheers

Mike

Mike Ellis

Thirty8 Digital: a small but perfectly formed digital agency: http://thirty8.co.uk