It is an honor to receive these emails and to realize that there are many kindred spirits.

As a friendly suggestion, may I please request the drafting committee to also explore ways to connect with those who don’t agree with us?

Yes, as you say, the absence of US obscurantism is an opportunity, and yet we have Hungary, which banned even assistance to immigrants today, and Italy, within the EU, and of course other countries, following similar approaches.

The positive thing is the pushback in the US. Civil Society is active, and is fighting what Trump and his cohort are doing. This is more than what is going on in Hungary or Poland or Turkey or Italy, if what I am reading is accurate. Or put more accurately, what civil society in these countries are allowed to do.

So how do we communicate with those who are voting these opportunistic demagogues to power? And how do we do education better? I am shocked to read the Orban is an alum of my alma mater, probably around the time I was there. How can that be? And what can we do?

I am grateful to those drafting the statement. I am also wondering if we can think collectively about how to engage others.

Respectfully.

Regards, Ravi

S. R A V I R A J A N
Professor of Environmental Studies
University of California at Santa Cruz

Web: www.ravirajan.in

“a man of serious conscience means to say in raising urgent ethical questions that there may be some things that men should never do. The good things that men do can be made complete only by the things they refuse to do”.⁠

-- Paul Ramsay