We apologise for multiple postings. Please, feel free to distribute this info to interested colleagues.

Dear all,

A reminder of the approaching abstract deadline for the GeoMod 2018 conference (Barcelona, 1-4 October 2018, http://www.ub.edu/geomod2018/index.html). Please consider submitting an abstract to the session " S5- Rheology and structures resulting from strain heterogeneity and localisation". Abstracts close 18th June  2018.

The session focuses to discuss on physical and numerical modelling approaches to explain strain heterogeneity and localisation from grain- to plate-scale. It aims to link analogue and numerical modelling techniques, address controversies and discuss advances in understanding the processes that lead to strain heterogeneity and localisation. We encourage contributions that address the following topics:

- Geometrical, rheological and thermal effects on strain localisation.
- Shear zone initiation, development and associated structures and fabrics.
- 3D aspects of deformation zones: 3D flow, kinematics, fabrics and strain.
- Microstructures, processes and deformation mechanisms at the grain-scale.
- Interplay between deformation localisation, metamorphism, melting and fluid flow.
- Recent developments and new modelling techniques.

Conveners: Elena Druguet (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain), Albert Griera (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain) and Marcel Thielmann (University of Bayreuth, Germany)

Guest speaker: Bernhard Grasemann (University of Vienna): “Ambiguous kinematic indicators resulting from strain heterogeneities under high finite strain".

We encourage to graduate and PhD students to participate. We hope for creative and interactive discussions during the session and are looking forward to your abstracts!

Please see the conference website at http://www.ub.edu/geomod2018/index.html for further information about key dates, location, scientific topics, confirmed keynotes, field trip, abstract submission, registration and much more.

Hope to see you there!

Elena, Albert, Marcel