Sent: 20 June 2018 09:44
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: This horrible awful exam series!!!!

This has been as interesting thread to watch!

For me, after 20 years working in a University as an exams officer or as a head of registry with exams officers working for me, I can say the change this year after moving to FE was startling.

The job in FE exams is so much harder than in HE; the responsibility is higher, the expectations are higher, there is external scrutiny that is not there in HE, the hours are longer, the demands of curriculum are higher, the changes to data are greater, more wide ranging and later, and the pay for doing all this is much lower.  Quite simply, and my former colleagues will not thank me for this, but HE exams are easy in comparison.

There seems to be general recognition within the college of the work that is done, and appreciation from colleagues which is always welcome.  However, there does seem to be a lack of professional recognition not just in exams but throughout the FE management and administration.  HE moved a few years ago to not just calling themselves ‘professional services’, but demanding and receiving professional training and qualifications as such, and demanding recognition and reward as the professionals they are.  FE, it seems to me, appears to still be struggling with that, keeping the support staff as ‘just admin’ and not valuing the expertise, knowledge and dedication required to do the job well.  This is not an individual college issue (I have no particular issues with my own) – I see it in all the emails here from many places.

There is a job to do in FE to raise the bar here, and I’m too new to the game to know how to do it, but from my experience it is not done by fighting or demanding, it is by talking and using all the avenues open to us collectively.  I do think that FE institutions are too small to do it individually, however.

I shall get off my soapbox now.  Maybe I’m wrong and too new to FE to know what I’m talking about, but this is how I see it.

Regards,

Derek.

Derek Ord | Data Services and Exams Manager | Data Services
Hull College, Queen's Gardens, Wilberforce Drive, Kingston-Upon-Hull, HU1 3DG.
( 2009 | * [log in to unmask] | www.hull-college.ac.uk