A: Park Lane, Pontefract, West Yorkshire, WF8 4QR

https://nclt.ac.uk/emailsignature/signature-nclt.gif

Sent: 20 June 2018 17:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: AQA English Language 8700 - paper 1 on 5th June 2018

Do you let the pens out of your control?  Eg let the students take them out of class?

I'm just worried about them going missing, as they aren't cheap.

Thanks

Derek

---- Lorna Willmott wrote ----

Hi Steve

We’ve used Reading pens quite extensively this exam season although we made a decision quite late (March) to go down this route (in response to a huge number of access arrangements).

We purchased 70 reading pens and wrote out to parents in order to get their buy-in.  Students were assigned pens to practice with in class and were supported by tutors and LRC.  Not everyone we wrote to took up the option but we provided the pens for the exam.  We expected lots of feedback (and our ILS team were quite concerned) but the exams ran relatively smoothly.  We had several large rooms with students who were assigned reading pens rather than readers – touch wood, but we’ve not had one complaint about this aspect.

For next year we’re intending to start the process earlier on – we will be selling the virtues of the pen in the assessment stage so that the majority of students take up the option.  We’ve very much focusing on how they can develop independent study skills and how this can help them in future educational settings.

Regards

Lorna