This looks convincing to me.  Here's another one from 1403 in Haughton in West Felton in Shropshire:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/97d42671-f30e-4d6c-b986-d33a9233a8d0 .

Here Wodewall hull is paired with Havekhulle.

Keith

From: The English Place-Name List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jeremy Harte <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 01 June 2018 19:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Wodewale

Sometimes a mouse may help a lion. As I was scampering through PN Cheshire, I noticed a possible etymology not contemplated in that regal work: one instance at 1 p276, Wodewalhurst 1384, and the other at 2 p95, Wodewallebrouk c.1300. Dodgson derived these from wudu wēl and wudu wælla but it seems unlikely that more or less the same primary name should have disappeared at two separate locations, only surviving in an additive form with a secondary generic. Surely these contain ME wodewale ‘woodpecker’ – and if so, has anyone come across the word anywhere else?

Jeremy Harte

To unsubscribe from the EPNL list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=EPNL&A=1