Sometimes a mouse may help a lion. As I was scampering through PN Cheshire, I noticed a possible etymology not contemplated in that regal work: one instance at 1 p276, Wodewalhurst 1384, and the other at 2 p95, Wodewallebrouk c.1300. Dodgson derived these from wudu wçl and wudu wżlla but it seems unlikely that more or less the same primary name should have disappeared at two separate locations, only surviving in an additive form with a secondary generic. Surely these contain ME wodewale ‘woodpecker’ – and if so, has anyone come across the word anywhere else?

Jeremy Harte

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Visit the Epsom and Ewell Borough Council website at www.epsom-ewell.gov.uk