Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 11:28 AM
From: "Richard Coates" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Dobunni

Dear Martin,

If you want to make your argument stick, you’ll need to say:

1.      why the Archaic Irish change of [nd] > [nn] shows up in Latin texts as early as the second century (data in PNRB 340)

2.      whether there are precise parallels in ethnic names (as opposed to lexical words illustrated by Thurneysen 225) to the proposed structure, as regards both the initial prefix/preposition and the proposed suffix; an adjectival suffix on a prepositional phrase looks unconventional

3.      where your suggested derivation of Lydney comes from, because Ekwall, PN Gl and Watts all disagree with you and give the same simple English origin, while Baddeley gives a different and probably unsustainable one, also with initial <L->; Dillon and Chadwick don’t suggest it

Best

Richard

To unsubscribe from the EPNL list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=EPNL&A=1