From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Taylor, Dawn
Sent: 20 June 2018 17:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [data-protection] 'vital interest' and GDPR disclosures

Hi All

In relation to the recent article in the Observer attached I would be grateful for stance of HE colleagues, and indeed those in the health sector.

Within confines of data protection law, what personal data (if any) would your staff disclose to a family member where there are one or more low level factors which may indicate a risk of suicide. For example a disengaged student could be seen as withdrawing from society…

More succinctly: At what point does it become in the vital interests of the data subject for that disclosure to be made?

Mindful of our duty of care but as always DPA2018 as well.

Kind regards

Dawn

Dawn Taylor

Head of Compliance and Risk

Anglia Ruskin University, Bishop Hall Lane, Chelmsford, Essex CM1 1SQ

| T: +44 (0) 1245 68 3673

| W: www.anglia.ac.uk

 Find us on social media angliaruskin

--
http://www.anglia.ac.uk/email-disclaimer

All user commands can be found at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/subscribers/subscribercommands.html and are sent in the body of an otherwise blank email to [log in to unmask]

This email and any attachments to it are intended solely for the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain sensitive or confidential material and should be handled accordingly. However, it is recognised that, as an intended recipient of this email, you may wish to share it with those who have a legitimate interest in the contents.

If you have received this email in error and you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, distribute, copy or print any of the information contained or attached within it, all copies must be deleted from your system. Please notify the sender immediately.

Whilst we take reasonable steps to identify software viruses, any attachments to this email may contain viruses which our anti-virus software has failed to identify. No liability can be accepted, and you should therefore carry out your own anti-virus checks before opening any documents.

Please note: Information contained in this e-mail may be subject to public disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations 2004.