> These can be visualized by reciprocal space reconstructions from the detector images, such as available in EVAL.

Yes, this is where the data collection intelligence should kick in. If it can be detected, it can be
addressed already during data processing. But as long as we index away all modulations and
superlattices, it is not going to happen.

> Therefore, we reiterate that raw diffraction data should be stored and the dois cited in publications and the PDB depositions.

The noble cause of image archiving will succeed eventually. But in the meantime, submitting unmerged intensities for analysis is no additional effort over submitting merged SFs. Think PDB_REPROC.

Ultimately, spin this further: Screw also the images, cryo-preserve the crystal (also better detectors, not just methods, will become available).

Cheers, BR

Best wishes,
Loes and John
See Kroon Batenburg et al 2017 IUCrJ and Helliwell et al IUCrJ 2017.