Two things. 1. Charles' poetry isn't difficult, with or without the quotation marks.
2. foreign language education was never very good in the US, outside a few areas and social classes. Now largely for budgetary reasons its relevance has been questioned and  it's been cut entirely by most elementary and high schools. It's purest fantasy that langpo had anything to do with this. As to those readers in the romantic period, even most of the middle class never had a secondary education.

-----Original Message-----
From: Luke <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Jun 18, 2018 12:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: on verbs in poetry

I just agree with Mark. Would tear off an arm to be fluent in those languages, but it's not easy.

> in e.g. Language poetry

Bernstein says his poetry is "difficult" because of its vernacular and cultural references, not then his use of foreign languages. He opposes it to a complex "structure", even-though whats trickiest for me is making the different social contexts cohere as they should.

Luke