Brief article on ‘Roman cavalrymen are depicted hunting down bound and
captive indigenous warriors’. I’ve written to the author, Dr Louisa
Campbell, to ask if she found anything re the African mounted regiment.

Interesting article by Michael Wood: ”Emperor Akbar came to see that no
religion can have pre-eminence”. India’s Emperor Akbar  ‘was one of the
greatest figures in world history’, argues Wood. ‘Confronted by India’s many
religions, with their claims to absolute truth, Akbar came to see that no
religion can have pre-eminence. Indeed, no religion can be the ‘truth’, in
that all faiths are interpretations by men and are either equally true or
equally illusory. Hence all should be free to practise whatever faith they
choose.’  (Akbar ruled 1556-1605) An important article…. I now want to find
a book on this emperor.

No surprisingly, given all the Windrush commemorations, there is an article
“London is the place for me” by David Olusoga. ‘There’s plenty of feel-good
symbolism surrounding the 70th anniversary of the arrival of West Indians on
the Windrush’ but, ‘Britain’s nostalgia for this event obscures a more
complex story of imperial subjects attempting to exercise their rights in
the face of institutional racism.’ He raises important issues. Wonderful
full page photo of Mono Baptiste blowing a vast trumpet: ‘the Trinidad-born
blues singer entertains fellow passengers on the Windrush’. [In case anyone
does not know, ‘London is the place for me’ is from calypsonian Lord
Kitchener.]

An important article. I wish more of those organising these commemorations
would put the Windrush in the context of the economic conditions in
Britain’s colonies and the long history of the presence of peoples of
African origins/descent in the UK.

Mathew Thomson in his article ‘The birth pains of the NHS’ notes that ‘there
was the problem of staffing the new NHS… Britain also had to get
manufacturing production to full capacity. This would take time, so hospital
wards remained empty without the staff to man them, and waiting lists grew
longer still. Soon the government would look to immigration for a partial
solution.’

I would love to see an article on the doctors of ‘British West Indian’ and
African origins working in the UK at that time! (And before 1948!)

The interview with Keith Thomas is interesting: ‘speaks about his new book
on England’s quest for civilisation’. In England, Thomas says, ‘the tendency
to divide the world into two categories of people – the ‘civil’ and the
‘barbarous’ – goes back to classical antiquity, and this distinction carried
through into the early modern period…’ Should be an interesting book – In
Pursuit of Civility: manners and Civilization in Early Modern England (Yale,
£25)