Interesting discussion.

However, what I wish to flag up is this often repeated though there's absolutely no connection of the 1948 Act with the Empire Windrush!

That Act was passed on July 30 1948 and came into effect from Jan. 1 1949* - both dates were post Empire Windrush's arrival - so what's this need to associate that trip with this Act, and worse still state or infer, as can be found elsewhere, that as a consequence of this Act, the Empire Windrush passengers were invited.

*Even worse was reading a teaching pack for schools which stated that the Act came into effect Jan. 1 1948 - ie. pre-Empire Windrush.

I do not claim to be a historian - I'm a lover and student of history, and I'm on this platform to learn. So I'd hope where there's "bad history", it's flagged up, and not left to stand as historical fact!

For what it's worth, these are my Windrush open letters. In the top letter, I've thrown an invitation to anyone who has evidence that counters any of my positions to be my guest at this Saturday's Look: The Other Windrush Stories! I'm not dogmatic - I'm happy to learn and change my position, if convincing evidence is provided.

Open Letter: Windrush Day + 1 Day: Outing "Bad History"
http://bit.ly/WinDay1

PRESS RELEASE: Open Letter To Lord Bourne Re: Windrush...
http://bit.ly/WindrushDayOpenLetter

PRESS RELEASE: History Consultant Cautions All Who Are Going To Be Commenting On Or Organising Empire Windrush Commemorations To Look To Historical Facts And Not Prevalent Received Wisdom
http://bit.ly/NoMoreBadHistories

Peace,

Kwaku
www.AfricanHistoryPlus.eventbrite.com