Obviously getting too old…. I left out that the second last section should be on the history of peoples of African origin/descent in the UK for the past c. 2000 years.

From: MSherwood [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 18 June 2018 12:08
To: 'The Black and Asian Studies Association'; British Black Studies ([log in to unmask])
Subject: RE: UK makes Windrush Day official with £500k grant to support events | UK news | The Guardian

Excellent, BUT

What I want is the education of teachers, publication of school books – and not just on the Windrush. On Africa prior to the ‘arrival’ of Europeans; the trade in enslaved Africans; the wealth derived from this and from the plantations in the Americas; the struggles for freedom by the enslaved; contributions of WWI and WWII – not only troops but minerals, oil, rum, food; manufacturing forbidden in the colonies by the UK; the enticement to the Brits to emigrate to Australia, NZ post war; then the arrival of immigrants from the Caribbean and their treatment as well as contributions.

Marika

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/18/uk-makes-windrush-day-official-500k-grant-support-events

www.theguardian.com

Day on June 22 each year will honour Caribbean people who migrated to Britain in 1948

To unsubscribe from the BASA list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=BASA&A=1