I would have to pick my mother's brain for all the detail...

I had a long chat with Peter Devitt this afternoon and he shared the exciting museum  projects coming up over the next few weeks.

Alison

On 18 Jun 2018 15:00, arthur torrington <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I didn't envisage the Government making it a day for all migrants, but a focus not only on African-Caribbean but Caribbean. I have a photo of an Indo-Caribbean in the Clapham South Deep Shelter.  We mustn't ignore the 395 years since our ancestors contributed to the enrichment of Britain.

You are aware that most of the passengers on the ship were ex-servicemen, they were asked in 1946/1947 (before the Windrush) to remain in the UK to help rebuild Britain. They had a variety of skills needed here. In 1947 some of them went home to the Caribbean colonies to say visit their relatives and to return. MV Empire Windrush brought them back to the UK.

Arthur

From: The Black and Asian Studies Association <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Kwaku BBM <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 18 June 2018 11:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: NATIONAL WINDRUSH DAY

To be fair, Patrick's aim for Windrush Day was to celebrate ALL Migrant contributions. Initially, I thought it ought to have focused on Caribbean, or more specifically African Caribbean. From what I can see, the Government's focus will be on Caribbean - I'm sure what they mean is African Caribbean,. as like many, they don't realise that Caribbean is Not synonymous with Caribbean people of African HERITAGE - there are Caribbean people of European, Asian etc heritage

What I'm more concerned about is if the Government is going to refer to the Empire Windrush in historically inaccurate terms, such as the passengers being invited to come help rebuild war-torn Britain, the 492 passengers or the ship arriving on June 22 etc - these myths and conflations are exposed in my programme: Look: The Other Windrush Stories on Saturday June 30:  www.bit.ly/OtherWindrush
www.bit.ly
How much do you really know about the true facts about the Windrush narrative and other African British histories? Be prepared to discover historical facts which have been obfuscated by myths! There are lots to commemorate in 2018:30 years since the introduction of African History Month UK, 30 years since the launch of African Jubilee Year, 50 years since the 1968 Race Relations Act, 55 years since the Bristol Bus Boycott, 60 years since the launch of the West Indian Gazette, 60 years since the Notting Hill Race Riots, and 70 years since the Empire Windrush brought a large number of people from the Caribbean ... all very important histories worthy of commemoration. However, this event aims to question whether we can continue these commemorations by re-telling the same histories that don't quite match up with the facts, myths, conflations, or leaving out or glossing over necessary, but less well-known aspects of the various narratives.  History consultant Kwaku will re-run elements of his 'African British Hi

Kwaku