Hi Katherine,

I agree completely. The gold standard has to be based on the diagnosis and not serology.

Ideally everyone would have a biopsy and that would be used as the gold standard. Though the sensitivity of biopsy is highly dependent upon the site and number of biopsies taken (but data are relatively sparce).

NICE did not define "weakly positive". Presumably because, as with many autoantibody tests, there is poor between assay comparability, standardisation and linearity.

Having both TTG and EMA positive improves the PPV and helps make the case for biopsy but is still not diagnostic.

In patients with significant signs or symptoms of coeliac, TTG+/EMA- patients should still be considered for biopsy. Or at least be reviewed and retested in 6-12m.

As a result in many cases EMA may be a distraction rather than a help. However, I think it's useful in patients with a low pre-test probability and weak pos TTG.

EMA usefulness will depend upon the specificity of the TTG test in use. That difficult balance between FP and FN results!

Local data is great for verifying manufacturer cut-offs and, like you, we've done this for TTG. Sample size is an issue if you want to use it to set cut-offs from scratch though because confidence intervals tend to be quite wide.

This takes many years of ongoing clinical audit and case finding/follow up. We work back from an annual trawl of positive biopsy samples but with only about 70% having a biopsy and a fall-off in the proportion of children having biopsy, there is a risk of significant selection bias.

If I was starting from scratch and didn't have a verified reference cut-off for TTG, I'd aim for a 99th percentile too (easier said than done!) as a starting point.

Immunofluorescence tests like EMA require local optimisation but I suspect many centres think this is the responsibility of the manufacturer.

Like you, we find that raised IgA for whatever reason (even big paraproteins) only occasionally gives false (always weak) pos TTG.

For this reason we routinely check IgA level if TTG is weak pos and AMA is negative.

Thanks for raising some interesting issues!

Best Wishes

Steve

Prof Stephen Holding PhD FRCPath
Consultant Clinical Scientist (Clinical Immunology)
Honorary Professor, Hull York Medical School
Blood Sciences, Pathology Dept, Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals, Anlaby Road, Hull, HU3 2JZ
• +44 (0)1482 607710