We are still binding to AD but looking at alternatives like NoMAD. I’d like to drop binding as it doesn’t play well with zero touch deployment, password synchronisation and FileVault. I think if you can find a way to do without it and you’re starting from scratch it’s probably the best way to go but it would be worth asking this in the Mac Admin’s Slack:

http://macadmins.org

There’s a ‘general’ channel there, an ‘education’ channel and more specifically an ‘active directory’ channel.

Apple do have a product called Enterprise Connect, it’s been exclusive to the US but I understand it’s now available in other countries so it could be worth talking to your Apple rep about this.

There were some rumours about Apple moving to support Azure AD, I can’t find any reference to them now though so that may be something that comes at a later date.

Jamf Cloud includes package hosting, I think it’s unlimited with file sizes up to 5Gb so you potentially don’t need DPs on premises. As we are deploying to student labs (with packages up to 50Gb in some places) we’re going to keep using internal DPs. One of the biggest suites we deploy is the Adobe suite but for staff now we just install the Adobe Cloud.app with elevated privileges and they can self manage. There are fewer big packages that need to be pushed out up front and not everything needs to be deployed at once (except on our student machines).

Best,

Sean

Sean Gaynor
Senior Systems Analyst (Apple)