From: Support issues for windows in UK HE & FE [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kenneth Stevenson
Sent: 22 May 2018 14:37
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Disabling IPv6 on clients

Hi,

We've previously seen a case where someone brought a machine onto a network which had previously had a USB WLAN adapter and internet connection sharing switched on and then the WLAN adapter removed. This machine continued to advertise connection sharing and caused machines on the same subnet to dynamically register AAAA records which referred to it. It was possible to locate those machines using the following in PowerShell

Get-DnsServerResourceRecord -ZoneName your.ad.forest.dns -RRType AAAA | ? { $_.RecordData.IPv6Address.IPAddressToString -match '2002(:\w+){7}' }

To be honest, that was before we had DNS cmdlets so the actual command then was as follows

& dnscmd /enumrecords campus.gla.ac.uk `@ /continue | % { if ( $_ -match '2002(:\w+){7}'){$_}}

Like others we disable transitional technologies and leave native IPv6 enabled on clients.

Kenny