Dear All,

List members may be interested in a public lecture being given by Lynsey Hanley (author of Estates: An Intimate History (2012) and Respectable: Crossing the Class Divide (2017)) as part of the Sociological Review seminar series<http://welfareimaginaries.wordpress.com/> on Welfare Imaginaries.

The lecture is free to attend and will take place from 4pm - 5pm on Tuesday 12th June in central Lancaster. Sign up for a free place here<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/welfare-imaginaries-seminar-series-public-event-tickets-45797264852>.

Details of Lynsey’s lecture follow.

With all best wishes,

Ruth

‘It’s how we’ve decided to run the country’: council housing and class in Britain
Lynsey Hanley

My talk will combine accounts of living in council housing with a reflection on popular attitudes to council tenants and the estates they lived on. The complicated history of social housing in the UK has both reflected and influenced attitudes to working-class people over the last century. I will explore the idea of a parallel history of post-war housing, in which the generous space standards and thoughtful planning of the Bevan period were not jettisoned in favour of prioritizing quantity over quality from the early 1950s onwards. Would, then, have council housing had a better chance to reduce class divisions by tenure and neighbourhood?

Dr Ruth Patrick
Postdoctoral Researcher, School of Law and Social Justice
University of Liverpool

Please note, my normal working days are Monday - Thursday

Mulberry Court, Mulberry Street
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
L69 7ZY