:: GLIMER ::

Governance and the the Local Integration of Migrants and Europe's Refugees

View this email in your browser

Welcome to the first newsletter from GLIMER!

It’s been a very busy start to our project studying local responses to displaced migrants and refugees, and this newsletter gives you some sense of the work we have been doing.

While GLIMER (the Governance and Local Integration of Europe’s Refugees) is now deep in field work in a number of localities in Italy, Cyprus, Sweden and Scotland, we have also been thinking about the national and regional contexts in which this work rests.

Read our opening blog on ‘Local States of Exception’ about why migration policies fail and how localities are working to mitigate these failures. With the pre-electoral debate in full swing in Sweden, see our blog on how issues of integration and migration are becoming the fulcrum of Swedish politics.

Meanwhile, and with distorted media debates on-going, what are the possible routes to better media inclusion and representation? Read our working paper on how new media may prove vital for this.

Moreover you can find all of our project documents ready to download here. Each traces contemporary developments in the incorporation of migrant and displaced communities, and asks what we can learn from this going forward.

Finally, do please keep in touch if you want to received further updates on project developments. You can follow us on Twitter for regular updates on the work of the project.

Nasar Meer

GLIMER

About GLIMER

The GLIMER consortium consists of partners from Italy and Cyprus (two landing points for many refugees as they first enter the EU) and the UK and Sweden (two countries seen as final destinations for recent arrivals), and the cases focus on new arrivals in the areas in and around Cosenza, Nicosia, Glasgow and Malmo respectively.

Blogs

In our first blog, Nasar Meer, Emma Hill and Tim Peace ask why do migration policies fail?

With the Swedish general election coming later this year, our Swedish team also ask who can be the most hostile to migration in Sweden?

Outputs

Our teams discuss the governance and local integration of migrants and Europe's refugees in their country in the first of our work package reports.

Our Scottish team also discuss media coverage of migration in our first working paper.

Contact the GLIMER team

If you know someone who would like to stay updated on the work of the project and upcoming events, please ask them to sign up!

GLIMER received funding in the framework of the Joint Programming Initiative Urban Europe, with support from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme under grant agreement No 693443.

Privacy Statement

Information about you: how we use it and with whom we share it

The information you provide will be used by the GLIMER project for the purpose of email marketing. The project processes the personal data of people on the mailing list, in order to keep them up to date with relevant events and outputs. To do so, we use Dotmailer as our mailing system. The information you provide will be used by GLIMER to:

  • Keep you up to date with news and progress
  • Ensure we only communicate with you about events and associated events of interest to you

Sharing Information

We are using information about you because you have previously given us consent to be added to our newsletter mailing list. We will not share your data with any third party.

We will hold the personal data you provided us for 1 year.  After this period we will send communication to you querying whether you wish to remain on our mailing list.  Alternatively, you can opt out of the mailing list at any time.

Automated decision making

We do not use profiling or automated decision-making processes.  A human decision maker will always be involved before any decision is reached in relation to you.

Further queries

If you have any questions, please contact Professor Nasar Meer or Ellen Cummings, University of Edinburgh. [log in to unmask] /[log in to unmask]

GLIMER

www.glimer.eu

School of Social and Political Science

The University of Edinburgh

Scotland, UK

Forward to a friend

Unsubscribe from this newsletter

GLIMER Newsletter

Edited by: Nasar Meer, Managing Editor

Designed by: Ellen Cummings, Projects Administrator