From: Social History Curators Group email list <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Helen McConnell Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 04 May 2018 10:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: New store - open or boxed?

This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message. -------------------------------
Hello all,

I am in the privileged position of setting up a new museum store. The collection is mainly 20th century domestic and art items, ranging from ceramics and framed prints to furniture, rugs and carved wooden ornaments. It is not a large collection – about 400 fairly small items. I have about 6 large deep racks on which to store the items.

I am trying to decide whether to box the collection, or whether to leave as many things as possible open to view, on the shelves. The considerations I have thought about so far are:

·         Space – boxed collections will take up much less space, so I may not be able to house everything in open storage

•         Ceramics – my understanding is that it is preferable for these to be unboxed, so that more care can be taken in moving them

·         Potential for future public tours – stores are more interesting if the objects can be seen

·         Familiarity with the collection – it is easier to gain familiarity with the collection if you can see it

•         Dust – would I need to cover openly stored items with sheets of tissue?

·         Cost of packing materials – open storage would require fewer boxes and less tissue

·         Depth of the shelves – I am concerned about whether items (or boxes) could be safely retrieved from the back of the shelves.

I am leaning towards open storage but I wanted to throw it out to your collective wisdom. Am I missing any key considerations? If you were starting a store from scratch, what would you do?

Thanks all,

Helen

Helen McConnell Simpson
Curator, Scott House

WWT Slimbridge Wetland Centre
Slimbridge, Glos GL2 7BT

T        01453 891268
E        [log in to unmask]
W       wwt.org.uk<http://www.wwt.org.uk/>

This message is confidential and for the sole use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may not be disclosed, copied or distributed in any form unless it contains an express statement to the contrary.?
WWT does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent. Any personal opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the policy of the organisation.
Company Registered Address: Slimbridge, Gloucestershire, GL2 7BT.
Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (WWT) is a charity registered in England & Wales (No. 1030884) and in Scotland (No. SC039410) and a company limited by guarantee (No. 2882729).
Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (Trading) Ltd. (Company No. 2541350) is a wholly owned subsidiary of WWT.
Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (Consulting) Ltd. (Company No. 2277255) is a wholly owned subsidiary of WWT.
?SAVE PAPER – THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk<http://www.shcg.org.uk> . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender that you have received the message
in error before deleting it. Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents: to
do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Thank you for your co-operation.

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST