Dear colleagues,

As you are too well aware, the data protection legislation has changed today with the introduction of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

As promised to some of you in person, we wanted to draw your attention to our data-related documents that have been updated to reflect the changes in legislation. Summary of changes:

End User Licence

·       we have added a definition of personal data

·       we have clarified the circumstances under which we would share a user’s data

Depositor Licence

·       we have added definitions for data controller, data processor and personal data

·        we have included additional terms and conditions to meet the requirement of the GDPR - Article 28(3) – when an agreement is between a data processor and data controller

In the next few weeks we will also be publishing a revised and updated version of the FAQ document on the GDPR, to help researchers better understand how the GDPR impacts on sharing research data, and a further refreshed model consent form for research. The form helps distinguish and break down when consent is being sought for ethical and legal reasons, and where it might be being sought as a processing grounds for the personal data (if one is not using public task, legitimate interests, or another processing ground).

Best wishes,

Louise and colleagues

__________________________

Louise Corti

Service Director, Collections Development and Data Publishing

__________________________

T +44(0) 1206 872145

E [log in to unmask]

W www.data-archive.ac.uk

UK Data Service

UK Data Archive

University of Essex

Wivenhoe Park

Colchester

Essex CO4 3SQ

Corti, L., Van den Eynden, V., Bishop, L and Woollard, M. Managing and Sharing Research Data: A Guide to Good Practice. Sage Publications Ltd. http://www.uk.sagepub.com/books/9781446267264

Legal Disclaimer: Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily those of the UK Data Service or the UK Data Archive. This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom they are addressed