Hi List

My first big post 25/05 task is to look at practices on the retention of photographs held by local authorities that show individuals

In a ready reckoner approach, I would suggest these fall into four categories

1.       Internal identification

Images taken to identify individuals for organisational purposes.  I would suggest retention here should be in line with the record of which the image forms a part.

2.       Internal groups

Typically staff teams or school pupils.

3.       Events and happenings

Typically, local authorities have a large stock of such images- both corporately and in the Services, especially Education.

4.       Incidental capture

Photos of buildings/places with identifiable individuals included therein.

I am new to this area so all and any assistance appreciated. I can see that consent will be required in 2 and 3 certainly but beyond that mapping the approaches being taken to retention would be really useful.  I am particularly wondering how long would a ‘reasonable’ business need for marketing and promotional purposes would be?

Happy to summarise comments received to the list.

Regards

Meic

Meic Pierce Owen FIRMS FIIM AMIRMS

Fife Council Records Manager

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and should not be disclosed to any other party.

If you have received this email in error please notify your system manager and the sender of this message.

This email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses but no guarantee is given that this e-mail message and any attachments are free from viruses.

Fife Council reserves the right to monitor the content of all incoming and outgoing email.

Information on how we use and look after your personal data can be found within the Council’s privacy notice: www.fifedirect.org.uk/privacy

Fife Council

To view the list archives go to: https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the words UNSUBSCRIBE RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK For any technical queries re JISC please email [log in to unmask] For any content based queries, please email [log in to unmask]