From: Research of postgraduate psychologists. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jeremy Miles <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 21 May 2018 20:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Purpose of this JISC list - stats query!

I agree with Thom about how to analyze this (I think the last time I disagreed with Thom was some time around 1997, and that was about whose round it was), but one other thought.

If you're only interested in predicting (which is what the email said, but you might not have meant) you have 2 (victim gender) * 3 (perp gender) * 2 (participant gender) = 12 groups. Just label them 1 through 12 and you have twelve groups, and you don't need to worry about constructing and interpreting interaction effects.

Also, again if you just want to predict, enter your group variable as a categorical variable (with 12 categories) and then run the model without an intercept. The parameter estimates are the predicted values (when covariates = 0) and you have standard errors / confidence intervals for each of these, which saves a fiddly step later on. (But beware - the p-values are meaningless in this case.)

Jeremy