This new free course gives a refreshing angle to data science communications, with some fun free workshops coming up soon. As a former journalist I have provided content on communicating data and would be glad of members’ help in encouraging PhD students and early career researchers to sign up for their local workshop. I would love to hear from any members who would like to give a brief talk at their nearby workshop about their data communications tips. Email me on [log in to unmask] rather than emailing the whole list, please.

                Promoting data science communication - please share the booking link for these free workshops for PhD students & early career researchers

Data Tree is an innovative new free course – with 5 regional face-to-face live workshops - aimed at PhD students & early career researchers which is packed with strategies, practical advice and tips on communicating data research meaningfully and effectively to:

·         Business

·         Policymakers

·         Media

·         The wider public

Self-paced and featuring video interviews from experts covering all aspects of data communication and data management, the online course is funded by NERC and will launch in the summer.

But booking is open now for the regional workshops – also FREE - and we want to encourage PhD students and early career researchers to take part.

21st June - Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Innovation (ECCI) – communicating with the media and public

29th June – Institute of Physics London – publishing papers and data

2nd July – University of Birmingham – data visualisation

10th July – University of Bristol – engaging with policymakers

18th July – University of Leeds – communicating with business

All are half-day, starting at 12.30pm for 1pm until 4.30pm

Booking is open at https://store.rdg.ac/DataTreeFace2FaceWorkshops

Data Tree Workshops will give students the chance to get early previews of the course content, and to trial some of the learning methods.

www.datatree.org   @_datatree  https://www.facebook.com/DataTreeOnline/

For any further details please contact Jo Ansell [log in to unmask]

Sally Stevens | Marketing & Communications Manager, Institute for Environmental Analytics

Please note: I do not generally work on Fridays.

Follow the IEA on Twitter @env_analytics  and on LinkedIn The Institute for Environmental Analytics (IEA)

Philip Lyle Building, University of Reading, Whiteknights Campus, Reading RG6 6BX

T: +44(0)118 378 6821  E: [log in to unmask] W: www.the-iea.org

psci-com how-to: Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask]. If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send requests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask]

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list) • set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday) • set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages)