Wednesday, 2 May 2018

Sign up for the blog roundup

The LSE Latin America and Caribbean Blog Roundup brings you our latest analysis of key issues affecting the region and its peoples. Please feel free to send our roundup to any friends or colleagues that share your interest in our part of the world.

US trade sanctions are also hurting Jamaica, Guyana, and the wider Caribbean

The Trump administration’s “America First” policy and sanctions on Russia and Venezuela have significant unintended consequences in the Caribbean, especially for the bauxite industries of Jamaica and Guyana, writes David Jessop (Caribbean Council).

Religion, the state, and the states explain why Mexico has stronger LGBT rights than the US

New research reveals the puzzling finding that Mexico has offered greater legal equality for LGBT people for a longer period of time than the United States. This can be explained by the wider separation of church and state in Mexican politics and the strong importance of human rights in new democracies. At the subnational level, states with more LGBT organisations and governors from left parties are more likely to recognise same sex relationships, but the religious makeup of states only matters in the United States, not in Mexico, write Caroline Beer (University of Vermont) and Victor Cruz Aceves (Christian-Albrechts Universität zu Kiel).

The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank comes knocking on Latin America’s door: is anyone home?

Although Latin America provides a third of the AIIB’s prospective members and co-financing is desperately needed, the region has been slow to respond to the bank’s repeated overtures, writes Álvaro Méndez (LSE Global South Unit).

Based at LSE's Latin America and Caribbean Centre, we aim to use expert, evidence-based analysis to improve understanding of the region on its own terms.

Interested in our activities and upcoming events? Read our newsletter!

Copyright © 2018 LSE Latin America and Caribbean blog, All rights reserved.
Our readers usually subscribe at LSE Latin America and Caribbean blog (blogs.lse.ac.uk/latamcaribbean).

Our mailing address is:
LSE Latin America and Caribbean blog
LSE Latin America and Caribbean Centre
Houghton St