Dear Richard,

You cannot remain in gestalt theory when approaching design.

Understanding what objects or structures of sensory information mean, is
the key to understanding how we design.

As humans we swim in sensory data, our perception hunts and identifies
sensory structures - structures of molecules for taste and smell,
structures of sounds, frequencies, and audio events such as when
speaking for Audio sensory, frequencies of light and visual compositions
for sight, and structure of surfaces and tactility for touch. Each
structure may be linked in our brain to a meaning according to our own
experiences and thinking.

To communicate what structures can mean to other, we must understand
what is their own thinking and sets of experiences that would lead their
own brain in reaching the desired meaning.

Communication is a very important to humans in general.  I recommend
that you read Krippendorff's Semantic Turn, and if you have interest in
touch on the neurosciences that is behind design also my own thesis  -
Exploring universal Structures in design.

Best of Luck.

*Yoad David Luxembourg *
BA (DAE <http://www.designacademy.nl/>,2004), MA (MAHKU
<http://www.mahku.nl/>,2006)
Ph.D (University of Porto <http://www.up.pt/>, 2015)
Creative Direction at Elementum by Daniela Pais
<http://www.luxuryistohavesimplethings.com/>
LinkedIn <http://nl.linkedin.com/pub/yoad-david-luxembourg/5b/95a/69a>
Website <http://yodalux.wordpress.com>