Karel and all,

Spot on, Karel. I agree. I should also declare at this moment a collusion of interests. Karel is a life Fellow of our Institute, CRI and we have been having a long discussion at CRI for many years about these issues and what we might do about them.

In 2004 I gave a keynote lecture at a Document Design Conference at the Tilburg University in which I stated that:
> …there is now no technical barrier to designing public
> documents to extremely high standards, though there
> remains much work to be done in training document
> designers to do the work, and in securing the necessary
> commitment and funding from organisations that
> produce public documents.
p. 254 D.Sless Designing Public Documents *Information Design Journal + Document Design* 12(1), 24–35.

I made those remarks on the collective behalf of CRI, it’s Fellows and Board Members. Subsequently we decided to change the focus at CRI from that of helping individual organisations to change their designs to changing their institutional focus so that good information design methods becomes the norm. This is what we are currently doing. Karel knows only too well, as a frontline troop, this is hard, frustrating, and difficult work. His identification of some of the main issues, is spot on. So the battle focus is changing.

To those of you involved in this type of work and want to continue doing so, we ask you to join use as a Member or Volunteer. To those of you who think what we are doing is worthwhile, please support us. https://communication.org.au/join-our-community/

David