Sent: 10 May 2018 12:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Cornish Geology Collections

Dear all,

The Royal Cornwall Museum, Royal Geological Society of Cornwall and Camborne School of Mines recently met to brainstorm ideas and discuss how our organisations might collaborate to raise the profile of geosciences and geology collections across Cornwall.  As an existing member of the GCG and representative of the Royal Cornwall Museum, I have been tasked to request your help in identifying significant Cornish geological collections held in institutions outside Cornwall.

We have identified the following institutions and collections so far (thanks to Roy Starkey for his assistance):

  • Bristol Museum -
  • British Geological Survey, Keyworth  - Royal Geological Society of Cornwall collection
  • Hunterian, University of Glasgow -
  • Manchester Museum, University of Manchester -
  • National Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh -
  • National Museum of Wales, Cardiff - R.J. King Collection
  • Natural History Museum, London - Rashleigh Collection
  • Oxford University Museum of Natural History -
  • Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery - John St. Aubyn Collection, Richard W. Barstow Collection (includes part of the Rashleigh Collection)
  • Sedgwick Museum, Cambridge - Carne Collection

Please do let me know of any additional institutions and collections that we have not yet identified or if you have additional details about anything already on the list.

Many thanks for your help.

Karen Bell

Documentation and Digitisation Officer

The Royal Institution of Cornwall

01872 272205 Ext. 235

Direct Line: 01872 242782

www.royalcornwallmuseum.org.uk

This museum is run by a charity, The Royal Institution of Cornwall. Registered Charity, number 1150749.

The Royal Institution of Cornwall.  A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales, No: 8362598. Registered Office: 25 River Street, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 2SJ

This e-mail and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended for the addressee only. If you are not the named addressee you must not disclose, copy or take any action based on this transmission (such unauthorised use may be unlawful) and you should notify us as soon as possible at [log in to unmask]. This e-mail and any attachments have been scanned for computer viruses; however, the Royal Institution of Cornwall does not accept any liability in respect of damage caused by any virus that is not detected.

See Tim Peake’s Spacecraft and go on a virtual reality adventure at the National Museum of Scotland, 17 May–4 August 2018. Presented by Samsung and the Science Museum Group. www.nms.ac.uk/timpeake National Museums Scotland, Scottish Charity, No. SC 011130

This communication is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the addressee please inform the sender and delete the email from your system. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of National Museums Scotland. This message is subject to the Data Protection Act 1998 and Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002. No liability is accepted for any harm that may be caused to your systems or data by this message.