Hello all - I do wonder if this is overkill - to present yourself / passport on Skype AND then to courier passport to the university prior to an event.

I assume the university would then reimburse the candidate, for expenses incurred here.

I, personally, would have concerns about posting my passport into a university administration system, given the inconvenience / time away from passport / risk of of loss. What if a university loses a passport? What is the extent of its liability in cover expenses incurred in replacing that passport?

Agree for the need for this sort of checks. Agree that Skype is a good way forward. Physically seeing the passport is unnecessary when extensive authenticity checks can be done with scans showing photo and number.

I (and I am sure, others) would be dissuaded from applying for roles that required a physical (hard) passport check prior to an event. If this is the case, even with simple laws of supply and demand - this would make it more difficult / more expensive for universities to recruit for events.

Chris