All of these are obviously excellent language learning strategies.

The only reason I am contributing to the thread is because section 5 OFSTED Inspections in schools have dropped an expectation of ‘demonstrable progress in learning’ during twenty minute drop ins, and many leadership teams in schools  have rethought – as they have about grading lessons which no longer takes place in school inspections.  ‘Evidence of learning’ has been a hotly contested area for the last  three or four years and the school guidance was amended a couple of years ago. Some schools persist, it’s true.

The current inspection handbook for schools contains an ‘Ofsted myths’ page covering issues like this, also frequency/kind of marking and so forth.

I know FE has its own Inspection Handbook/Guidance – at least I assume it does - but it might be worth asking some questions about comparability. Perhaps try the EAL/ESOL lead at OFSTED, Mark Sims?

It’s not very joined up or justifiable for FE and Schools to have such different Inspection practice/expectations.

If that is indeed the case then in my view, it should be challenged, or at least noted if you are not in a position to challenge.

Good luck, anyway

Di