From: The Disability-Research Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lara Bezzina
Sent: 11 May 2018 06:45
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: burden

In my research with people with disabilities in Burkina Faso, I have often encountered the term 'burden'. This was reiterated by people with disabilities themselves when describing how they are perceived by society, that is, as a burden (mostly economically, but also care-wise ). This perception is so strong that some feel that they have to prove themselves as otherwise, and in fact, through a participatory video I facilitated, a group of disabled people talked about this and about the struggles they go through, in their own words, to "overcome their disability". As Deborah points out, these terms are seen as problematic in many studies, however, these are the  terms that  the participants themselves used in describing their lived experiences.

Lara

Dr Lara Bezzina

PhD - Disability & Development (Durham University, UK)

M.A. Research Methods l M.A. Human Rights & Democratisation
Twitter: @LaraBezzina l Blog:
https://larabezzina.wordpress.com l Skype: aral219