Again Ireland is different to the usage in the UK. We use intellectual disabilities for the global disability and learning difficulties or learning disability for specific problems or issues with things like dyslexia or dyscalculia. Obviously this can be a very fuzzy line but also opens up the possibility that a person with ID can be recognised as having a specific learning disability and should receive specific interventions to help with that.

From: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of m.hersh
Sent: 01 May 2018 20:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: request

Hi
Thanks to everyone who comments on dis/ability, hegemony etc - useful comments and very interesting discussion.  When work permits I will add a few more points.

I have a further request, again in the context of the special section I am editing.  What are your views on the terms learning disabilities, learning difficulties, cognitive impairments, intellectual disabilities and the associated identity first versions?  Are there differences in the meaning?  If not, which terms are the most empowering/least offensive?  I generally use identity rather than person first, but sometimes use person first in the case of longer expressions which can be more difficult to say.  What do you think about this in this case.  And if person not identity first, then single or plural impairment/disability?

I hope that all makes sense.

I will also contact People First and see what they think.
Regards
Marion

[University of Glasgow: The Times Scottish University of the Year 2018]

This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies<http://www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies>).

Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html<http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html>

Is le haghaidh an duine nó an eintitis ar a bhfuil sí dírithe, agus le haghaidh an duine nó an eintitis sin amháin, a bheartaítear an fhaisnéis a tarchuireadh agus féadfaidh sé go bhfuil ábhar faoi rún agus/nó faoi phribhléid inti. Toirmisctear aon athbhreithniú, atarchur nó leathadh a dhéanamh ar an bhfaisnéis seo, aon úsáid eile a bhaint aisti nó aon ghníomh a dhéanamh ar a hiontaoibh, ag daoine nó ag eintitis seachas an faighteoir beartaithe. Má fuair tú é seo trí dhearmad, téigh i dteagmháil leis an seoltóir, le do thoil, agus scrios an t-ábhar as aon ríomhaire. Is é beartas na Roinne Dlí agus Cirt agus Comhionannais, na nOifígí agus na nGníomhaireachtaí a úsáideann seirbhísí TF na Roinne seoladh ábhair cholúil a dhícheadú.
Más rud é go measann tú gur ábhar colúil atá san ábhar atá sa teachtaireacht seo is ceart duit dul i dteagmháil leis an seoltóir láithreach agus le mailminder[ag]justice.ie chomh maith.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.  It is the policy of the Department of Justice and Equality and the Agencies and Offices using its IT services to disallow the sending of offensive material.
Should you consider that the material contained in this message is offensive you should contact the sender immediately and also mailminder[at]justice.ie.