*** With apologies for any cross-posting ***

With funding from the Barrow Cadbury Trust and support from the UK’s Ministry of Justice, I am currently examining trends in criminal justice outcomes for young adults in England. Recent statistics indicate that the number of young adults aged 18-24 in prison or serving a community sentence in England has fallen by more than a third since 2011, with the proportion of young adults within the whole caseload having dropped by nearly 10%. We seek to explore the various potential causes of this trend by tracing data through stages of the criminal justice system, including policing and sentencing, and the flow from youth justice populations.

One of the questions we seek to answer is whether there is any evidence of a similar decline internationally. With this in mind, I am requesting any information on trends in criminal justice outcomes for young adults in other nation states.

Of course, I am equally happy to share our own findings, on completion of the project. Furthermore, if anyone has access to similar data in other contexts, and would like to undertake some comparative analyses, I would be very interested in collaborating.

Thanks and best wishes

Nathan

--
Prof Nathan Hughes