We have a minimum charge of £65.50 no vat chargeable based on the overhead rate for officer time that we are told about each year by finance.  Strictly this is for an hour but in practice upto to 2 hours to get a response issued.  We retain some flexibility as we often learn something or improve our records within this.

Complex enquiries are multiples of this amount estimated in advance.

Stock email responses logged on GIS  have accumulated over the years and these are reissued free of charge if suitable mostly assisting single domestic property  requests.  Its not unusual to get the same commercial envi searches for similar or identical properties on a development  every few years.  The mechanisms the search companies have for noting our responses seems a bit iffy.

We cant charge more than this hourly rate as it’s the only one we have finance data to support.  It seems high to me but is used for other purposes in the council so it is what it is.

The advice given by the office of the information commissioner has  changed over the years regarding officer time  charging and rates.

We don’t charge less for one group or another as we don’t have a policy basis for doing so and we feel we accommodate many simple requests using stock responses .

When we did have differential charging for commercial vs householder we found solicitors / companies got  their clients to ask for information as homeowners at a lower rate which did not help clarity.

Regards
Martin Wright
Senior Regulatory Services Officer
Regulatory Services  Cheshire West and Chester Council
Tel: 01606 288664
Email: [log in to unmask]
Location:  1st Floor, Wyvern House, The Drumber, Winsford, Cheshire, CW7 1AH
Visit:  cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk

Textphone (for hearing impaired, deaf and speech impaired customers) 01606 867 670
Fax 01606 867885