The Macias lab at IRB Barcelona is searching for two highly motivated Structural Biologist PhD students to join our laboratory. Our research interest is focused on deciphering the mechanisms that correlate cell signaling with gene expression using high resolution structural biology. We also aim at discovering how these mechanisms are regulated, and their consequent implications in human diseases from the structural point of view. Recently, our work has been focused on the family of transcription factors Smads, where we have discovered a mechanism that labels these key components of the TGF-beta pathway first for activation and then for degradation. We have also identified new DNA binding sites specifically recognized by Smad proteins.

Using NMR and X-ray crystallography we are currently characterizing the interactions of Smad proteins and cofactors with DNA promoters, to provide a first understanding of how these molecular machines work and to pave the basis for the design of small molecular inhibitors specifically targeted towards tumor-derived Smad forms.
Interested candidates should send a CV, a letter of motivation, and academic grades to [log in to unmask].

The fellowships are granted for 4 years including:
* Anual gross salary: 26.519,19€ plus a single payment of 1504,89 relocation support (Spanish tax and social security deductions apply),
* Close mentoring and supervision through prestigious Researchers,
* A personalized doctoral career development plan,
* A training program for scientific and transferable skills.

Conditions: 4 year contracts, fellows will have to comply with the EU mobility rule (candidates must not have resided or carried out their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years previous to the call deadline), candidates should be ready to enter an official doctoral programme in September 2018.

Deadline: 31 May 2018
Interviews: from 12 to 27 July 2018 (exact days to be confirmed)
Incorporation foreseen around 09/2018

For more information please visit http://maciasnmr.net/?q=node/32

--

Pau Martín Malpartida
Structural Characterization of Macromolecular Assemblies

Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona),  The Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology, Baldiri Reixac, 10, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Tel : +34 93 4037190
http://www.maciasnmr.net
eMail: [log in to unmask]