We'll be interrogating these terminologies as part of

AFRICAN & PROUD? 2

Saturday May 19, 12.30-4.30pm

Holborn, central London

£5-£10

2-4-1 Family/Group deal+ £25 review prize offer

www.bit.ly/AfrPrd2

Kwaku

www.AfricanHistoryPlus.eventbrite.com

`

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 8:49 PM, Ron Belgrave <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

As regards the terminology, I tend to agree with Marika (except for the “people of colour” bit).

In my view, “Black” (with the uppercase) should be used in reference to people, culture etc. (in racial terms) and “black” (with the lower case) should be used in reference to objects (in terms of hue).

We (and our children) have all seen, time and time again, over many years, repeated phrases like “Asian, black and Chinese...” (or versions thereof) where everyone else is in uppercase and we are in lower case. A small matter you might say but this recurrent chipping away at our (and our children’s) self-esteem has a major accumulated impact on our psyche together with all the other micro (and macro) aggressions. No wonder our youth feel so alienated and at sea resulting in the range of behaviours that are well known.

Continual attacks on the mind have a degenerative impact on mental health and nomenclature is one aspect that we should pay more attention to.

Martin Luther King recalled his father, as a grown man, being called “boy” and how that made the anger build up inside them – he later often insisted on writing Negro (the “Black” of his day”) with a capital N.

Some might argue that we should not use Black anyway and ought to say African instead. Point taken but Black is so widely used by us already and many people (for a variety of reasons) prefer to use a geographical term such as Caribbean to refer to themselves in specific circumstances but to use Black when speaking in general terms.

And, as regards “people of colour”, like BAME that is a legitimate and wide ranging term that includes others (like Asians) who are not Black.

Regards,

Ron