Ealing at the Tate: Making Sacred Space

Friday 18th May 2018
12 noon – 9pm
Free

Tate Exchange, Blavatnik Building, Level 5, Tate Modern, Bankside, SE1 9TG

You are invited to join us for a day and evening of workshops, installations and screenings exploring the creativity of everyday religion. Focusing on architectures, material cultures, rituals, music and performance, this day will involve collaborative co-production with artists, cultural geographers and local faith groups from Ealing, West London. Of particular interest to the group may be the sacred music performance workshops from 7pm and include a Hindu Carnatic chant workshop, a Spoken Word 'holy hip hop workshop' and a Georgian chant choral workshop with St Thomas choir singers.

Drop into creative workshops and activities running in parallel throughout the day; join an architecture workshop designing a new religious building, contribute to embroidery in our Fabric of Faith installation, learn traditional Hindu flower garland making, design a kite for our kite festival, add a contribution to a book of recipes that evoke spiritual memories, or learn to rap, sing and chant in our sacred music performance evening workshops. Please do join us!

Activities open from 12 noon
5pm Fabric of Faith<https://makingsuburbanfaith.wordpress.com/projects/fabric-of-faith-project/> Book Launch and drinks reception
6pm Spiritual Flavours<http://www.spiritualflavours.com/> film screening
7pm Sacred Music Performance workshops with Mr K<https://twitter.com/mrkpoetry?lang=en>, St Thomas Choir<http://www.thomashanwell.org.uk/> and Hindu Carnatic vocalists