For me it's that she doesn't offer up easy answers/explanations about her experiences. She is honest about how they can be hard to pin down when explored. She is very careful about attaching meaning to them, too.

From: British & Irish poets <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Luke <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2018 9:06:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: on verbs in poetry

> she writes from her own experience

so many poets do that: what makes hers an "authentic" writing on her own experiences? I don't doubt you're right, though.

Cheers,
Luke

On 10 May 2018 at 20:21, Tristan Moss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
For me, Luke, much of Riley’s work is ‘authentic’ because she writes from her own experience as in ‘A Part Song’, written about the lose of her son and how she feels outside the flow of her life/time. I really like Riley. Very interesting stuff.

Cheers,

Tristan

Sent from my iPhone

On 10 May 2018, at 20:11, Luke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Riley's writing is 'authentic' - this will rile somebody

Interesting descriptor, do you mean politically? I like her poems too, but the term always confuses me. It isn't vacuous, but maybe vague.

Luke