As colleagues will be aware from an earlier posting to this list, ARA has given notice that the CARN ticket will be discontinued in November 2018.  Meanwhile, the Chief Archivists in Local Government Group has been investigating alternatives and come up with a national Archives card for each nation which is GDPR compliant and will save each of us having to develop our own ticket schemes.   At present we need a few more archives services to work with us to make the national scheme cost effective.   If you're interested please drop a note to Gary Tuson ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) by 5pm on 31st May 2018.

Meanwhile, I've been receiving feedback from customers - e.g.  I have just read something which states that the CARN card which I have just renewed is being discontinued at the end of November 2018. Is this correct? What will replace it? Back to the old system of ID for every Archive/Record Office visited? If the latter is the case it would be a great shame and in my view a backward step to have to produce ID etc at each and every Archives/Record Office. Very much a retrograde step and could well put people off visiting.

I do appreciate that several offices already have their own schemes or link in with library colleagues etc. but I'm keen to make sure we can't make this scheme work before abandoning a nationwide collaborative option.

Many thanks,

Heather

Heather Forbes
Head of Archives Service
Gloucestershire County Council
Gloucestershire Archives, Clarence Row, Alvin Street, Gloucester, GL1 3DW
01452 425299

Think before you print - only print this email if absolutely necessary.

This email and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended for the addressee only.
If you are not the named addressee you must not disclose, copy or take any action in
reliance of this transmission and you should notify us as soon as possible.

This email and any attachments are believed to be free from viruses but it is your
responsibility to carry out all necessary virus checks and Gloucestershire County Council
accepts no liability in connection therewith.