War, natural disasters and climate change are destroying some of the
world's most precious cultural sites. Google is trying to help preserve
these archaeological wonders by allowing users access to 3D images of these
treasures through its site.

But the project is raising questions about Google's motivations and about
who should own the digital copyrights. Some critics call it a form of
"digital colonialism."

When it comes to archaeological treasures, the losses have been mounting.
ISIS blew up parts of the ancient city of Palmyra in Syria and an
earthquake hit Bagan, an ancient city in Myanmar, damaging dozens of
temples, in 2016. In the past, all archaeologists and historians had for
restoration and research were photos, drawings, remnants and intuition.

https://n.pr/2rXUyCM
https://n.pr/2rXUyCM+

--
Peterk