Dear Ines and Francoise,

What is the interpretation of the hazelnuts? I’m curious because I found a similar one in a Mesolithic context in southern Sweden, see attached photo. (The photo shows two sides of the same nut.) Is this underdevelopment only natural, and do you know if it is caused by any specific conditions? Or was it just picked before it was fully developed?

Best wishes,

Per

Per Lagerås
Archaeobotanist, Assoc. Prof.