 *The Statistical Excellence Award for *
*Early Career Writing 2018 Competition*
* Organised by the YSS and Significance Magazine *

*Deadline: 28th May 2018 *

*  Please email your submissions to [log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]>Watch our FREE Writing Webinar
<https://statsyss.wordpress.com/2018/05/01/webinar-writing-competition/> for
some invaluable advice and motivation to help you to start writing. Are you
an early-career statistician with the ability to tell data-driven stories
in an entertaining and thought-provoking way? If so, we invite you to enter
our 2018 writing competition, with a chance to win a Royal Statistical
Society Statistical Excellence Award for Early Career Writing and be
published in Significance Magazine. The rules of entry are simple. Send us
your best article, of between 1,500 and 2,500 words, on the subject of your
choosing. The article could be on work that you have done, or it could
explain the work of others. But to stand the best chance of winning, your
article really needs to demonstrate the power that statistics has to
challenge myths, shape decisions and explain the world around us.Whatever
you choose to write about, articles must be engaging and easy to read.
Significance is published for a broad audience of readers, with varying
levels of statistical expertise. This means technical terms and mathematics
should be kept to a minimum and explained clearly where used. The
competition runs until the end of May. Three finalists will be selected in
June, with the winner announced in July at the RSS Statistical Excellence
Awards ceremony. The winning article will be published in the October issue
of Significance, and online at significancemagazine.com
<http://significancemagazine.com/>. The winning author and runners-up will
be invited to give presentations based on their articles at a special
session of the Royal Statistical Society International Conference (3–6
September 2018 in Cardiff, Wales). For full details of how to enter the
competition and rules
visit https://www.significancemagazine.com/10-news/579-our-2018-writing-competition-for-early-career-statisticians-is-underway
<https://www.significancemagazine.com/10-news/579-our-2018-writing-competition-for-early-career-statisticians-is-underway>*
---

*Message sent on behalf of the **RSS Young Statisticians Section*

Visit us online:

~ Website: *statsyss.wordpress.com <http://statsyss.wordpress.com>*

~ Twitter: @statsyss <https://twitter.com/statsyss>

~ Facebook: RSS Young Statisticians' Section
<https://www.facebook.com/youngstatisticianssection>

Sign up to our mailing list: YOUNG-RSS at JISCMail
<https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=YOUNG-RSS>

Email us: [log in to unmask]

SIGNOFF allstat