Dear Kathryn,

What exactly do you mean with "domestic snakes"? Snakes cannot be domesticated like some mammal and bird species, but it is known that they were (and still are) kept in captivity and that in some cultures and periods they most probably also played a role in all kinds of rituals, including burials (as did other herpetofauna species, especially frogs and toads). It would also be helpful if you could mention the period(s) you are interested in. I know of Vipera berus remains that were found in Neolithic graves (in Eketorp, Sweden if I remember correctly) but do not have the exact references at hand. I will look into that next week. Snakes were also sometimes buried below the threshold of houses, probably as a form of initiation ritual. Remains of eggs from grass snakes are sometimes found in the floors of farms that consist of stamped manure. These remnants then most probably come from grass snakes that had laid their eggs in manure, which was then used to make floors. I give an overview of Dutch finds of grass snakes in archaeological contexts in a publication on the cultural history of the grass snake (Environment and History; 2014; Volume 20, pp 319-346). If you want, I can send you a copy of that article. Lewis-Williams & Pierce (2005; Inside the Neolithic Mind; Thames and Hudson, London, pp 189-192) report remnants of grass snakes in a pot that was probably used for a burial ritual. Most finds of remains of snakes found in archaeological contexts, however, should probably be considered as intrusives.

By the way, I am also interested in the role of snakes in the Holocene history of Europe. If you could provide me with other references of (remnants of) snakes in archaeological contexts, I would be very grateful.

Best wishes
Rob Lenders